Monday 23 June 2014

Washing make up brushes

Yes, that's right, for the first time EVER! I washed my make up brushes. I know how naive this might sound, and slightly stupid, but whenever my makeup brushes would get clogged up with makeup in the past I would just throw them out and replace them with reasonable priced new ones. 

However  recently I decided I was going to fork out on some new Real Techniques (for everyday use) and Eco-Tool brushes (these are smaller for traveling). When looking at brushes these are not that expenses, but when it comes to replacing them every month it would get costly. These brushes are also really good quality, super soft on the skin, and helps to ensure precise makeup application. (I am extremely happy with my purchases!)

So I decided to do some research, how do you make make up brushes last? Answer...looking after them, cleaning them. Quite simple really. So after some you tubing, I brought myself some nice shiny new brushes. Today was the day, with the quick guidance of you tube sensation, and one of my favorite blogger/vlogger, Zoella, I took to the sink with some shampoo and water.  

Some key points that I picked up during my research

  • cold water is better than hot, as it is less likely to loosen the glue that holds the bristles in place
  • always tilt the bristles downwards in order to prevent water seeping into the neck, again this then goes on the protect the glue
  • ensure not to pull the bristle against the grain to prevent weakening and damaging them
  • before they dry, re-shape them
They're looking pretty good and clean now, but the prof will be in the pudding tomorrow when they're completely dry (hopefully) and I get to use them. Below are some pictures on my evenings adventures.

Any more tips and advice will be hugely appreciated in the comments.




4 comments:

  1. I love love eco tools brushes. I am surprised they don't get more publicity. I like the products you feature on your blog, as I have access to most of them where I live too.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are underrated, I think I found a little gem with them :).

      Where I live I am quite limited, limited on prices too so I aim to feature a lot of affordable prices.

      xx

      Delete
  2. I need to wash my brushes, but something that I really like to use is dish soap, the kind with aloe vera or cocoa butter. It cleans and gets everything out very well, but also disinfects as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try that, I really need to ensure my face brushes are disinfected due to my silly acne.

      xx

      Delete